About Sulphur River Ranch
Located just two hours northeast of Dallas, and close to Mount Pleasant, Texas, Sulphur River Ranch sits between the Sulphur River basin and the Red River basin and is home to the Darkhorse Cattle Company. This sprawling 6,245 acres +/- property in NE Texas provides a unique opportunity to own both a hunting and profitable cattle ranch along with an income producing timber harvest. Sulphur River Ranch boasts 1,100 head of high-end genetic Brahman, Brangus, and Braford cattle, and while the property is not currently hunted, has trophy quality whitetail deer, turkey, ducks, geese, dove, and hogs. Sulphur River Ranch is one of the largest contiguous tracts in East Texas and consist of 4,650 acres of cattle pasture and grazing with 350 acres being under irrigation pivot, 1,600 acres of hardwood timber, 25- acre Florida Bass fishing lake, a 17- acre lake, 12 lakes ranging from 2-7 acres, and over 35 additional pasture tanks and ponds. Three creeks also meander through the ranch allowing for ample year-round water sources. A 2500 ft private airstrip on the north side of the property allows for easy travel to and from the ranch. 50% of all owned Oil & Gas and other Minerals will convey to buyer.
Located just north of the Sulphur River Bottoms, a known wildlife mecca, Sulphur River Ranch is a sportsman’s paradise. While not currently hunted, the area has trophy genetics and the ranch has become a sanctuary for big bucks, consistently producing very high-quality whitetail deer. in addition, there are turkey, hogs, and some of the finest duck hunting lakes and wetlands in Texas. The Sulphur River flyway continues to winter a high concentration of Mallards, and during the rainy months of winter the ranch can provide some flooded green timber hunting that rivals Arkansas. Many other species of duck winter on the lakes and ponds throughout the ranch. Furthermore, the various lakes and ponds on the property are filled with, but not limited to, Trophy Florida bass, Catfish, Crappie and Brim.
Hay Production and Grazing
• Ranch Cattle carrying capacity: 1 unit per 3 acres +/-
• Primary grasses- Coastal Bermudagrass, Ryegrass, Bluestems Native, Eastern Gamagrass, and other small grains.
• Hay Production- 4-6 cuts annual
• 3,000 to 3,500 bales without fertilization
Soil and Timber
The property’s extensive acreage is comprised of gentle rolling terrain, rich pastures, and heavily timbered pockets.
Soil types include: Woodtell fine sandy loam, Ashford silty clay, Crockett loam, and Wrightsville-rodessa.
Furniture grade timber with an approximate value $2,700 +/- per acre and include: Post Oak, Blackjack Oak, Southern Red Oak, Water Oak, Black Oak, Pecan, Black Hickory, Red Maple, White oak, Green Ash, Pine and a few River Birch and Bald cypress.
• Total- 6,245+/- acres
• 4,650 +/- acres Cattle pasture and Grazing
• 1,600 +/- Wildlife Habitat and hardwood timber
• 350 +/- acres under Pivot irrigation
• Large Headquarters House
• Large Ranch Managers House
• Large Secluded Cabin
• 7- Equipment and Hay Barns (Ranging from 7,000 sf to 13,000 sf)
• 2,500 Foot Private Airstrip
• All-Weather roads throughout most of the Ranch
• 3 Irrigation Pivots
• New- Cross and perimeter Fencing
• Working Pens and Corrals
• Grain Bins
• Rural Water Supply- Available
• 6- Water wells
• Two Large 25-acre and 17-acre lakes
• Twelve smaller lakes ranging from 2-acres to 7-acres
• Aproximately-35 additional ponds and stock tanks
• Ranch is bordered by Shawnee creek on the West
• Cottonwood Creek and Elm Creek meander through the center of the ranch
• Red River County receives on average 53+/- inches of rainfall per year which is well above the national average.
*Cattle and ranch equipment will be offered separately from the sale of the ranch*
Exclusively listed by Asher Watkins and Matt Heytens of the Watkins Ranch Group.
Shown by appointment only, and prospects may be asked to provide proof of funds. Buyer’s agent, if applicable, must be identified on first contact and must be present at initial showing of the property in-order to participate in real estate commission. If this condition is not met, fee participation will be at the sole discretion of Briggs Freeman Sotheby’s.