This grand mansion was designed by Architect Wiley G. Clarkson in 1918 for Jule. G. Smith and his wife Eva. Jules brother Bert K. Smith lived at 1302 Elizabeth and they co-owned of Smith Brother's Grain Compay.
1315 Elizabeth is one of the largest homes on Elizabeth Blvd. This mansion was constructed by C.D. Hart Contractors in 1918. The family of Jule and Eva Smith resided in the house for 67 years until 1972 . Jule and Eva had six children, Florence, Frances, Julius, Marc, Martha and Elcee Ann. Jule Smith purchased two adjoining lots for $10,0000 and building permits showed that the structure was worth $40,000 in 1918. As with all the grand houses in Elizabeth Blvd. it has had its ups and downs, but careful restoration is returning this house to its former grandeur.
There is no better word to describe this house than magnificent. The first two floors comprise 6,500+ square feet of living space. The grand entry is framed by double French doors with beveled glass. Of the eight exterior doors, seven are French. There are four sets of French doors in the foyer.
The homes spaciousness is enhanced by the way the rooms are positioned to create a feeling of vast distances. The façade of the house is almost ninety feet long, and the upper gallery and third-floor attic/ballroom are designed to take advantage of the tremendous length.
The bas relief crown molding in all the formal rooms is original or has been reformed with hand-made molds. The nickel-plated light fixtures and sconces, located in the entryway, foyer, and formal living room, are original to the house. Wood floors feature mahogany inlaid borders. The library with its mahogany paneling and light fixtures from the Fairmont Hotel in Dallas occupies an octagonal bay on the south side of the house. The last Smith family descendant who lived in the home painted the original mahogany paneling and leather wall covering in the library pink. The second owners of the house restored the mahogany paneling and replaced the leather with wallpaper.
The butler's pantry retains the ice delivery door and cabinets. The light fixture is European. The pantry also provides access to the servant's workrooms in the half-basement. Through the arched doorway from the butler's pantry is the kitchen. Major renovation was done to the kitchen, removing walls, incorporating the mud room. The kitchen now incorporates the service porch and food pantry into one large area. The original edge-grain pine flooring was restored after removing five layers of different flooring - the last being linoleum that was tared directly onto the edge-grain pine.
The sitting room, originally an informal dining room is decorated in a butter cream color scheme. The transom over the French exterior doors shows the flattened arch associated with many buildings designed by local architect Wiley G. Clarkson.
The solarium, with Italian tile floor, latticed walls, hand-painted ceiling borders, and wall fountain, is an impressive example of a type of room that was enjoyed great popularity at the time this house was built.
The gallery at the top of the stairs is 10' by 60'. Off it are six bedrooms and four baths, most with their original fixtures. It's impossible to return to 1920, but in this house, you can believe you are there.
The homeowner was told the chandelier located in the dining room was from the Cullen Davis Hulen St. mansion, but this has not been verified.
Not included in the square footage of this home is the carriage house and 3rd floor. Home is being Sold "As Is".